Thursday, June 11, 2009
Saturday, June 6, 2009
John enjoying a "post-hike" dip in the timberline lodge pool with Mt Hood in the background.
The swim marked the end of a fantastic day. Highlight was the dramatic turnaround of the weather on top. We went from total white out with a forced turnaround to clear skies with a summit in about 15 minutes. Many thanks to my buddies in small group, Jimmy, Mike, Greg, Chris and Greg, for their prayers that turned the tide for us. As we were sitting on the Hogsback, waiting for the weather to clear, they were back in Cape at "My Daddy's Cheesecake" at our usual Thursday morning meeting. I sent them a text for them to pray for a break in the clouds and the next thing you know it was a go. As my friend Jerry Stone wrote in his comment, "If the Lord takes you to it, He'll get you through it."
Friday, June 5, 2009
2am departure makes for a dark and cold start to the day
Trying to catch a glimpse of the summit
Starting to lighten up as we approach the ridge know as the "Hogsback"
Several climbers gather at the Hogsback as the guides decide whether or not to press on.
John standing atop the Hogsback. Very cloudy and windy. Texted my buddies at this point who were meeting for small group and asked them to pray for clearing as our guide was telling us we couldn't go up due to poor visibility. We told him whatever he thought but wanted to wait a few more minutes.
Same spot 15 minutes later. Unbelievable how quickly the clouds broke. Guide decided to press on at this point up the steep chute in the middle of the photo. Toughest part of the climb by far.
Photo from the summit. Clouds moved back in as we reached the top. No view but thrilled to make it.